Cosmetic ear surgery is a procedure to change the shape, position or size of the ears. It is also a surgery to correct large or torn lobes.
Otoplasty – Instituto Perez de la Romana
The intervention consists of the correction of auricular cartilages form to create a more natural size with face. Lobes proportions are reduced to normal or closed in case they have been torn. In both cases, the scars are imperceptible.
Otoplasty can be done at any age after the ears have reached their full size but better before going to school to prevent children can develop complex psychological damage caused by possible feedback from peers.
The procedure is done with sedation and local anesthesia, which numbs only part of your body. In other cases general anesthesia is recommended, it depends on the age of the patient.
It usually takes less than two hours, and the patient returns to the daily routine a week after the intervention.
- It is necessary a blood tests.
- If you are taking any medication or if you have a disease you should warn your surgeon.
- Avoid taking aspirin, acetylsalicylic acid or anti-inflammatory drugs 15 days before the procedure.
- After otoplasty, your ears will be covered in bandages for protection and support for a week and rest with your head elevated.
- You’ll likely feel some discomfort and itching. You can take pain medication as recommended by your doctor.